Monday, June 22, 2015

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

The Wedding

Who: Martin John Dailey an Martha Ellen Renner
What: Their Wedding Day
When: June 22, 1946
Where: Immaculate Conception Catholic Church; Akron, Ohio
Why: Love

Their Studio Photograph

At The Church

Mom with her parents Charles and Nellie Hitchcock Renner

Mom and Dad on the left. Their Best Man & Maid on Honor on right

When Mom and Dad got married he was almost 15 years her senior. That is challenging enough, and I know this first hand.  On top of that add that as a new bride mom had to start her married life in the home of dad's mom, who was elderly. My mom didn't have a chance to put any of her personal touches to the home until Grandma died in 1959.

Although dad died in 1987 mom would have mixed emotions every year on their Anniversary. Today I don't think mom's concept of time would allow her to know it's her Anniversary. That may be a good thing.

Mom's brother & sister-in-law, Ernie & Myrtle Billings Renner were the Best Man and Maid of Honor. I really don't know why Aunt Myrtle's dress looks like a bridal gown. One of my unanswered questions. Another unanswered question is why there was no picture of my Grandma Minnie Dailey with either my Dad or my Dad & Mom. I know she was at the wedding. Strange!

I always thought my mom was "some kind of special" because she converted to Catholocism in order to marry my dad who was Roman Catholic. Back then both bride and groom had to be Catholic to marry in the Catholic Church, and for it to be recognized by the Church. After my dad passed away my mom started going back to her original religion, United Methodist.

I still have mom's wedding dress and veil. I'd like to do something with it but I'm not sure what as it's very fragile. I'm thinking of of making some kind of small keepsake for each of the kids and grandkids.


No comments:

Post a Comment