Thursday, June 18, 2015

Grandma Minnie

I'd like to tell you some things about by Grandma Minnie (Philomena Margaret Mathias Dailey). Dad was the last of grandma's children to get married, and when he and Mom got married they moved in to grandma's house to take care of her. I grew up with grandma in the house, she died March 17, 1959 when I was 12, but I have to say I know very little of her.

Grandma Minnie in our kitchen in the 1950's

a. Grandma didn't say much unless it was important, but she had an expression for every occasion.

b. I don't ever remember Grandma talking about her side of the family other than her sister Lizzie and her brother Joseph.

c. I remember a friend of Grandma's, that I called Aunt Kate, would come and visit her every once in a while and they always had a good time.

It wasn't until I started researching the Mathias family that I found out most of my information. For example:

Grandma was born in 25 November 1874 and her mother Margaret Schuees Mathias died when she was a few months old.

Grandma was raised by her grandfather Joseph Mathias, her dad John Mathias' dad. So there's the question of why she didn't live with him. My dad later told me these two things.

Well, I discovered Grandma's mother did die in March 1875 when grandma was 4 months old. Her dad John did, in fact, remarry to a Mary Kelller who by chance, had a daughter from a previous marriage by the name of Kate Keller. This second marriage took place in May 1875. Kate was about the same age as grandma and her name, at the time I knew her, was Mrs Kate Bockwitz.

A photo of Aunt Kate Bockwitz on the left, and Grandma Minnie of the right.

I still haven't resolved why grandma lived with her grandfather Joseph. It wasn't unusual at that time for a widower to have family raise small children, However, her dad remarried right after his first wife Margaret's death so I'm at a loss for a reason. Maybe it had something to do with the Roman Catholic faith at that time. Maybe grandma's step-mom Mary Keller Mathias was a Protestant and her dad John married her anyway, outside the church. It must have been something, because when grandma's grandfather died all of his children, except grandma's dad, were given a 5th share of the estate. Grandma and her younger, minor siblings shared their father's 5th of the estate.

It just goes to show that for every question answered, three new questions arise needing answers.




No comments:

Post a Comment