Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Starting my Genealogy is intimidating?

Hi Peeps, and Happy New Year 2018!! I've joined a challenge for my genealogy that's called "52 weeks of 52 ancestors". Amy Johnson Crow came up with this challenge, gives you prompts for your 52 weeks, and... it's free. You can sign up anytime by clicking Here for the details.

Week #1  Start
I began my genealogical roller coaster ride in 1986, a year before my dad died, when I was 39 years old. I was never intimidated when I started, even though I didn't know how to go about such a thing.

About 3 years after I started I decided it might be a good idea to join a genealogical group in my town if there was one to be found. There was, Summit County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, and I joined. This allowed me to talk to people with the same interest and to learn how to actually start having successful researches.

I grew up hearing about the family of my mom's [Martha Ellen Renner Dailey] family through her and her mother, my grandmother, Nellie Ruth [Hitchcock] Renner. However, I had literally no knowledge of my dad's [Martin John Dailey] family. Now we lived with Grandma Dailey until she died when I was 12 years old, but she never talked about her family or my Grandfather's family.

I knew that Grandpa Dailey was Charles Dailey, and that he died when dad was a young boy. I also  knew that the name of my Grandpa Dailey's father was Joseph Dailey and his wife's name was Elizabeth, possibly Cowdrey or Corder.

The Dailey family moved from Chillicothe, Ross Co, Ohio to Akron, Summit Co, Ohio when my dad was about 3 yrs old, or around 1911. We would randomly make trips to Chillicothe to see some of dad's cousins but if they talked about the earlier generations I never knew about it.  Dad didn't have many memories of  my Grandpa since he was so young when Grandpa died. But he did say he would have to go to "Zimmerman's" bar to fetch his dad home from drinking, and that when he worked he was a carpenter. Sadly, that was the end of my knowledge about my Dailey ancestry.

I have been trying, off and on, since 1986 to find information on my Gr Grandfather's parents and family but still only have possibilities. I've fared a little better with [Philomena 'Minnie' Margaret Mathias Dailey] my Grandma Dailey... but that's for another day.

Well peeps, that's how I got started in the search for ancestors... and it continues today. Thanks for stopping by... and have a wonderful day. I welcome all comments.

#52ancestors

No comments:

Post a Comment